Christmas is over, New Years has been celebrated and we are now able to enjoy the peak summer period. The holidays are in full swing!
With the days longer and warmer, the kids are excited to be able to play all day every day. However, with more time spent playing indoors and out, the risk of slips, falls and accidents around the home increases.
Kidsafe, the official Child Accident Prevention Foundation of Australia (CAPFA), calls for us to be safety conscious, especially throughout the summer holidays when accidents spike. According to The Royal Children’s Hospital, most childhood accidents under the age of four happen in the family home, driveway and garage.
The risk of injuries during the summer holidays can be prevented however, by having a five-minute chat with your family, you can ensure that everyone is on the same page when it comes to safety – whether it be at the family home or at a friend’s house.
Here are some easy safety conversation starters to help ensure your family’s safety around the garage and home these school holidays.
The five-minute safety chat
It’s important to have constant refresher chats with the family to ensure everyone is on the same page when it comes to safety around the garage.
Here are three important points to consider.
- Never run under the garage when it’s closing. While Merlin garage door openers are fitted with safety beams that auto-reverse when an object is detected, this may not be the case at a friends house or at the local shopping centre, so it is important the kids understand that not all garage door openers have this safety feature.
- The garage door remote is not a toy. We all know how much kids love buttons! It is important however, that the little ones understand the purpose of your garage door opener and that keeping your garage door closed is crucial for the security of your home and the contents of your garage.
- Stay clear of the door when going up or down. A moving garage door usually means one thing – an incoming car! Letting your kids know to steer clear of the garage door when it’s moving will keep them aware, further ensuring their safety.
When it comes to garage safety, Merlin leads the way
As garage doors modernise and are continually developed safer with innovative safety technology, it is still a fact that not all garage doors are made equal. Merlin’s systems are fitted with safety features that will reliably stop closing doors when there is an obstruction.
At Merlin, we put safety first. Our Protector System (Safety IR Beams) stops opening and closing when the beam is obstructed or broken. This feature can prevent injury to your vehicle, to your pet, and most importantly, yourself or your children.
Merlin’s myQ App also allows you to have remote control of your garage door. Open and close the door when you know it is safe, taking this danger out of the hands of your young kids. You can also opt-in to receive notifications of when the garage door is opened. By always knowing when your garage door is in use, you can keep a closer eye on garage door safety!
Be driveway aware!
Kidsafe studies show that there are large blind spots behind most cars. For this reason, small children have higher risk in “low speed locations”, such as your home driveway.
Kidsafe recommends the following in order to keep your children safe at home:
- Always supervise any children whenever a vehicle is to be moved.
- If you are the only adult around, and you need to move the vehicle, place all children securely in the car with you while you move it.
- Encourage children to play in safer areas – away from the driveway and cars!
- Use fencing or gates to limit a child’s access to the driveway.
- Read more about Kidsafe’s tips here.
Enjoy the school holidays knowing your family is safe and secure
By having a five-minute safety chat with your kids this summer, you can start to ensure that they too will look out for their own safety. We all need just as much a refresher as our kids do sometimes when it comes to garage safety. It is important to also speak with friends and family who may supervise your children, and to remember these garage-safety tips when having kids over at your house.
The more aware we are, the more we can enjoy these school holidays safely!
For more information about Merlin’s or to browse our range of garage door openers and accessories, visit our website or call 1800 638 234.