Are you looking for a way to have fun without having to leave home? Up your game by transforming your garage into your new favourite room in the house!
Whether you’re a video gamer, board gamer, pub sports fan or you enjoy the arcade, we’ve got you covered.
Here are our tips for curating your perfect games room.
For the video gamer
Get in the zone and stay in the zone by making your garage a room for an uninterrupted gaming experience.
Get the look and feel:
- Purchase some comfortable seating or a gaming chair.
- Dimming lights create a great atmosphere. RBG Strip lights are a cheap alternative that are easily removable and can be purchased from Kmart or Bunnings.
- Painting the walls can set the tone for the space. For example, dark walls give a warmth and cosiness to the space while light colours bring brightness and airiness to the room.
Set up the tech:
- A TV with a wall mount for consoles or a desk for your monitor are both great additions that will improve your gaming experience and get you in the zone.
- Make sure to manage your cables using extension cords, power boards, and cable ties.
- Good WiFi reception is key, so make sure your connection reaches your garage with a range extender or dongle.
- Light up keyboards and a great sound system or headsets are a must to get the most immersive experience.
- Use action figures or themed décor to get you in the gaming headspace!
For the board game obsessed
What’s awesome about converting a garage into a games room is all the extra space you wouldn’t get in the home!
Keep the active board game theme going with the addition of family favourites like Twister.
To play all day and night, lighting is key. Make sure you have some adjustable lighting that can set the tone and make sure the space is ready to go. Merlin’s myQ technology is perfect for garage lighting and can be adjusted on your phone for convenience.
For the pub sports enthusiast
The garage is the perfect room to make your home feel just like your local pub, giving you the space and freedom to play darts and have a drink with friends.
Get the garage pub essentials:
- Organise the room around your feature bar, with highchairs and a couch for comfort.
- Add easy décor touches to give your garage the ultimate bar scene, like posters of your favourite band or neon signage.
- Make sure you have a mini fridge or a way to keep the beers cold.
- Applying a sealant to the floor will protect your garage from any accidental spills.
The next step is the fun one – choosing your games! A few of our favourites include:
- Pool or a mini pool table
You can even set up regular trivia nights for that classic Tuesday Night Trivia fun from the comfort of your home.
For the at-home arcade experience:
Arcade games like pinball, Pacman and Space Invaders can deliver hours of fun for the whole family. Instead of buying games, consider renting arcade machines that you can swap in and out to keep your games room fresh and interesting!
Alternatively, you can use a TV monitor and gaming console to set up fun interactive games like dancing or target practice games.
Get the arcade look by:
- Adding a stylish theme can liven up the space and give it an authentic feel. Something like retro or electronic can really tie the space together.
- Invest in lighting, with ambient lights like neon LED lights to really elevate the space.
So now that you’re filled with awesome ideas and ways to make this happen, it’s time to get started! You’re ready to turn your garage into a gaming haven for yourself and your friends and family.
- Lighting is key! Use Merlin’s myQ Remote LED lighting technology to elevate your space.
- Pick a theme.
- It’s all about décor, so have fun with it!
And to keep your awesome new games room safe, trust Merlin’s MyQ technology or range of garage doors for the ultimate peace of mind.
For more information about Merlin’s or to browse our range of garage door openers and accessories, visit our website or call 1800 638 234.